Good morning all
The sun is finally shining bright - the morning haze and some overnight rains are gone. Now we wait.
I'm back to work for the next 3 days, and did not leave the connection on to the computer for the live clocking...however, the birds are still free to return home and clock into the module. I will immediately post what has happening when I return home later this afternoon.
I just spoke to Rick and he is out watching the coop intensely - as we've seen hawks again this morning...he won't leave the coop so that he can protect any returning birds. Another 15 birds have come home this morning...let's cross our fingers more keep coming!
Rick and I will take our time with decision making about the final race. We will keep you posted as to what we decide. We will be holding the final MAIN race - we just have to plan it properly.
Hang tight - we'll get there!
Jeane (aka "The 1st Pigeon Lady")
What a quiet evening in Niagara - but the rain and thunder are coming down setting a dull mood. The bird tally tonight is 28 plus 1 injured - not eligible as stated last night).
At this point, we really are wondering if the birds decided to take the scenic route and fly the other side of Lake Ontario. Not sure, and not sure if we'll ever really know where they went today. Disappointing, but we truly want everyone to know, we did our best. We put 150% (if not more) into this year and we were very proud of what we had accomplished, up until today.
So we start to look forward and see what do we have control over. We will see how many birds return tomorrow and maybe the next day. We can adjust the rest time and the date for the final race. We still have some control as to what happens for our big day. Stick with us, and we'll continue to give our best.
Thank you again to everyone with your kind and encouraging words...we appreciated them all.
Here's to a great final MAIN race - whatever it may look like.
Rick & Jeane (aka "The 1st Pigeon Lady")
Well everything seemed picture perfect with training and the releases and the returns. Unfortunately the birds had other plans today, and we've only seen 9 so far. They clocked in around 11:30am and we're still waiting for others. One of the injured birds came out of it's section when Rick when in to check the birds and it stepped on the pad as it went by him (HV 918) - it does list as injured to the side of the results, so please keep that in mind when looking at the places for all arrivals. It is not eligible for this race as stated in the updates from last night.
Now, our thoughts go to - did the birds go around the lake the other way, which is a much GREATER distance. We don't know. We will sit and wait. I will go onto Facebook Live if we seem them this afternoon. I will post results as they happen.
Here is pigeon racing at its best...the unpredictable nature of it - keeps you on your toes.
The weather continues to be wonderful...fingers crossed they get here soon!
Stay tuned...waiting we will do!
Good evening all,
The birds are in the baskets and ready to go for tomorrow's planned PREP race from Gravenhurst. We're hoping for an 8am release - we'll keep you posted with a Facebook Live post for the release also. We've scanned an incredible 289 - but we've kept back 4 birds. These 4 had 2 injuries from the most recent toss, and 2 were very lightweight.
Ineligible for the PREP race (but will be good to go next week for the MAIN race) are:
We've got 285 basketed and they're ready to go. Check the lost birds list if you don't see your bird in the basket list - as I've also updated this list as well.
Make sure you check out thePAYOUTS tab for the payouts for the PREP race.
Good luck to everyone!
See you in the morning!
Good afternoon everyone,
Quiet day here today - but had a great visit from one of our flyer families! Thanks to Kam Vantroba and Rochelle Eloranta for stopping by with their daugher Callie. Got to show them around the place, introduce them to some of the animals and of course, see the one loft in all its' glory (from the outskirts of course :))...but so happy to meet them in person!
As we get ready for the PREP race tomorrow morning, we still have to get through our local club's shipping and then it will be our regular Sunday night basketing with another Facebook Live to keep you in the loop as to the status of the birds.
We did just announce on Facebook Live a few minutes ago, that Rick has decided to shorten up the PREP race to either Gravenhurst or Burks Falls. He plans to have the birds released early - so that they won't mix with the combine (who are flying from North Bay - hence why we won't release from North Bay). Also, it gives the opportunity for people to tune into or visit our loft for the early return of the birds, and then be home for their own race birds.
Check out the PAYOUTS tab in wincompanion for the PREP race payouts - and see you later on Facebook! I'll have the basket list up as soon as we're finished tonight.
Good luck to everyone in their own races, and of course - in the OLR PREP RACE!
Good afternoon everyone
I've just finished downloading the final numbers of the returned birds from yesterday's toss. 288 - we sent 288 (and remember we lost one outside the coop due to a hawk)...so at least one has returned from a previous toss.
Take a peek at the returns under the TRAINERS tab in wincompanion and see if your birds are there - even if they were lost before - they might be back!
Have a great afternoon - it's sunny but very windy here today...we're still planning on the PREP RACE to be on Monday. Sunday night basketing - with the inventory listed!
I entered a race station that was too far in the wincompanion program this morning. After getting the infor from Rick - we got the GPS location and things have been updated for speed.
It was crazy when we looked at the speeds and realized I made a boo boo with the station.
All corrected and the release video should be up momentarily online on Instagram and Facebook!
Have a great one!
Good morning everyone
Rick released the birds for a training toss this morning at 7:45am - and he has a video of the release...I wasn't ready for a Facebook Live - sorry! He took them north of highways 6 and 401.
Hoping to catch the birds here on video before I take the kids to school...not sure though.
Weather is beautiful here with pretty clear skies. I'll keep you posted!
This post I made this morning, but it didn't seem to upload...so here it is for today.
Unfortunately there was no training today...couple of reasons for this. One - the QEW was shut down and traffic was halted everywhere towards Toronto. Also, the weather is not looking favourable for a Sunday prep race so Rick is going to train tomorrow.
We are now assuming that the race might be on Monday.
Pigeon racing at its best...unpredictable to say the least.
Have a great Thursday!
The weather has hit us, but we're pushing through this afternoon for a training toss from the Hamilton Clubhouse (or about...). Rick is enroute as I type to take in what "decent" weather we have!
The rain and winds were pretty rough this am, so we held off on the planned training toss this morning. There are still wind gusts happening but the birds seem to do ok in the wind. Rick has limited the loft flying as the hawks have been present over the property over the last while. Again, we'll try and do our best with what we have to work with!
FYI - the weather outlook for the next few days is not looking favourable, but again, we'll judge tosses and planned race days accordingly...and most importantly, we'll keep you posted on timelines and plans as often as we can!
Watch for videos and a potential Facebook Live this afternoon if the birds return before I leave to get the kids from school!
Jeane ("The 1st Pigeon Lady")