News and Updates
GOOD AFTERNOON High Desert Breeders,

We are off and training. The first four tosses the birds have done well. The birds are grouping up nicely and have went in the right direction fairly quickly. We will do a lot of short tosses and will break up the birds more in smaller groups once we are 10-15 miles away. We will start to do mass releases at the 40 mile station. And even on some of those we will break them down in smaller groups. The goal of the smaller groups is to create more homers and less followers. 

We have been really lucky to sneak in these tosses already. Weather has been very rough so far. A lot of days we have had short windows to either loft fly or road train (like today). We had a very short window to get the birds out today. But we were able to sneak them out in between storms. 

Tomorrow is calling for a wind advisory so the birds will be getting the day off. Hopefully the weather will be nice to us and we can keep getting your birds down the road. 

We recently started a Facebook Page for the High Desert Yearling Classic

Until the next update. 

Kenny and Corey

Our internet is down currently. We will repost the loft fly once it is back up and running. All birds flew for 65+ minutes today. Starting to look like a team. They even had some sunshine to fly in today. 

Kenny and Corey
GOOD AFTERNOON High Desert Breeders,

A balmy 37 degrees today but luckily some sunshine. We have had lots of snowy and very cold weather the last couple of weeks. Fortunately, we have found openings to get the birds out to loft fly most days. The main group is flying for 45 minutes again. Some smaller groups are starting to route. Once the weather is a little warmer the main group will really take off with routing and length of time in the air. Road training will begin once the birds are ready. 

Until the next update. 

Kenny and Corey
WINTER UPDATE AND 2024 UPDATE High Desert Breeders,

Finally some better weather in our neck of the woods. The past month, like most places, we have had rougher weather. With that, the birds have been eating lots to stay warm. We will start to get the birds back out this week. February weather is still very unpredictable here. Not much has been happening on a daily other than feeding and cleaning. The goals are to use March to get the birds back in shape until they are routing really well. Around April we will begin road training with the races starting in May.

Updates and changes for the 2024 series. Perches and Entries will be staying the same. Really not much changing. We will be taking 10% of the entries for 2024. Went back and forth on whether or not to raise perches to help offset costs or take from the entries. No best option but we thought not raising any costs would be the best for the times. Go to our Homepage to see the flyer for next year. 

We will also be starting a 2-year-old series in 2024. Any yearling birds that finish the series and you want them to be left for next year can be. More details can be found on our Rules Page.

Two-Year-old Series
  • Perch fee = $100 per bird. (Due two weeks after the yearling final)
  • Entry Fee = TBD. We will discuss with those that leave birds and determine an entry fee, if that is what is desired by breeders. 
Until the next update. 

Kenny and Corey
WINTER UPDATE High Desert Breeders,

Hope all is well. Depending on the week and the weather, we have been able to get the birds out 1-3 times most weeks. There have been several weeks that the birds have been shut down completely due to the weather. Overall the birds are doing very well. Wintertime is pretty boring.

Best of luck with your breeding season. New birds and new pairings are always fun to experiment with. 

Kenny and Corey
WINTER High Desert Breeders,

Winter and cold weather have come earlier than usual. Since the last Hand Inventory, the birds have just been eating lots and sitting in the loft. For the next couple of months, it will be pretty boring around here. We will get the birds out when we can but they will mostly be locked up until winter passes. 

If you look at the last Hand Inventory, there are a handful of birds that are listed at the end. Those birds had issues with their electronic bands and have not been clocking. The bands should be resolved now and the next time we do a loft fly your birds should show up. 

Before the winter weather arrived we had the birds up and flying well. Around 100 were flying for 2+ hours. 

Hope you all enjoy the Christmas season with family and friends.

Until the next update. 

Kenny and Corey
IT IS COLD.............. High Desert Breeders,

Cold weather has decided to come early this year. The past couple of weeks we have had several storms pass through and snow on the ground a few mornings. Lows have been in the teens with highs in the low to mid-thirties. 

Overall the birds have been doing well and have adjusted to the cold. Appetites have increased greatly with the lower temperatures. We are in the process of winterizing the lofts. 

Air time for the birds is starting to increase. Birds are flying from minutes to 30+ minutes. As long as the temperatures stay in the mid 30's and above we can continue to loft fly. If temperatures are colder we have noticed over the years that wing injuries are much more prominent. 

Hope you all enjoy the upcoming holidays with family and friends. Until the next update. 

Kenny and Corey
LOFT UPDATE High Desert Breeders,

We have had a great Fall so far in the high desert. Lots of sunshine and t-shirt weather. The weather looks to be getting colder this next week. We are usually able to get the birds out on a regular basis until Mid December when we shut them down for the winter. We will see how this year shakes out. 

Birds are through the heavy body molt and now mainly working on their primary flights. Birds are healthy and enjoying getting outside.

The birds are in one group now. We chipped the last of the birds last week. If your bird is marked missing on 10/11, it was not here. We had a lot of older birds in that final group and we were very happy with the minimal fly-off rates. 

We are getting close to kicking all the birds out and getting you a current inventory of all the birds. Been extra patient this year getting everything settled and ready to start being pushed for loft flying. 

Hope you all enjoy your Fall Festivities. Until the next update. 

Kenny and Corey
Afternoon Breeders,

We are entering the chilly fall mornings here in the high desert. Birds are doing well. Appetites will be increasing greatly as the temperatures start to drop.

The main group is through the main body molt and just working on the primaries. The last group we are settling is still body molting very heavily. We are getting close to mixing all the birds. 

The plan is to continue to have open loft for several weeks once the birds are mixed. Then after that, we will start to push all the birds out of the loft and make them fly. At that point, we will post weekly loft inventories. 

This stage of the game is a slow process but getting them all on the same page before we start pushing them we feel is important. Thanks for your patience. 

Hope you all enjoy some fall festivities. 

Kenny and Corey
UPDATE Breeders,

Birds are doing well and are enjoying some cooler weather now that Fall weather is arriving. Most of the birds are in a heavy body molt right now. 

Due to unhealthy levels of smoke in the valley, birds were locked up for just over a week. The smoke cleared a few days ago and the birds are continuing to be let out on a daily basis. The smoke this year has been very limited compared to years past. So we are very thankful for that.

We are still working on settling the last group. Once we feel comfortable with their abilities to go in and out of the loft we will mix them with the main group. Then we can start working on getting the whole group into shape. As a reminder once all the birds are outside we will start doing weekly loft fly inventories. 

Best of luck in the upcoming young bird races. 

Kenny and Corey
« Previous 1 2 3 4 [5]6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next »