Today's toss for both California and Royal cup was not easy. The release was warm, 80 degrees, with 10 mph headwinds to boot. The winds were expected to get stonger by the hour. At the loft, it was overcast conditions yet cool. Getting released for the first time in the desert is always challenging.
Starting Monday, the weather is expected to get hot again. We will train accordingly.
Please call with any questions.
Training is on hold for the Royal Cup and California Classic. San Diego's " Valley Fire" is on it's 5th day of burning . The fire was very close over the weekend. We were very fortunate. The fire is now further east. It is 20% contained. Cal Fire along with law enforcement have been doing an excellent job with providing safety and control.
Today, the birds had their first day of exercise since Friday. As soon as smoke and road blocks are clear, we hope to be back on the road. We will continue with loft flying for the next few days.
Training is going well. This past week we hit them with short tosses everyday. The weather was brutal all week. They say we may cool down in the low 90's starting tomorrow. Early in the morning, we usually have a 1-2 hr window for the temperature to be relatively nice. That was not the case this past week. We will start to move the birds through canyons, and different valleys this week. It is always a challenge for some.
The Royal Cup and California Classic have started training. We will continue with weekly inventory for the next few weeks. We start posting live trainers once out 30 miles. We train 5-6 days a week weather permitting. Currently, we have a heat wave so we will resume training Sunday. For the first 50 miles, the terrain is mountains and valleys.
The Royal Cup birds are doing well. All birds are now being exercised together. This week we will be concentrating on teaching the birds to enter a new chute for pre-training. We plan to start road work late next week.
We have a few breeders that have not paid perch fees. Our next hand inventory will be done in a few weeks. At that time, Breeders that have not covered fees will be disqualified.
We currently have the Royal Cup split into 3 groups. 2 groups are back out flying. The other group should be exercising late this week. Majority of the birds look very good. Many are still in a deep body moult. No serios flying until all birds out for a couple of weeks.
The Royal Cup is closed with accepting birds. We appreciate all those that sent us birds for this year. The current status in the loft is excellent. Our format with handling the birds is and will be similar to that of the California Classic. Currently birds are split into 2 groups. The older and the young. The older babies are in the proceess with their flights growing in.. They are almost 1/2 way in. The youngest group had flights pulled last week.
We will keep you posted in the weeks to come with changes we made at the loft and the new things we hope to implement.
Wishing you all a great July 4th.
GOOD NEWS.....STARTING JUNE 1ST. THE NEW CASTLE QUARANTINE WILL BE LIFTED.
Good News.....Starting June 1st. The New Castle Quarantine will be lifted.
Starting Monday please ship all California Classic and Royal cup birds to Jamul Loft address.
15622 Lyons Valley Road
Jamul, CA 91935
JOHN WILL BE PICKING UP FOR SAN DIEGO THIS SATURDAY AT 3:00 TO 3:15 OFF 57 FREEWAY AND IMPERIAL HWY
The young birds are doing very well. Currently, birds are being exercised every other day. No serious flying yet.
I will be picking up for San Diego this Saturday at 3:00 to 3:15 off 57 freeway and Imperial Hwy. Coco's parking lot.
Please call with any questions,
WILL BE AT JEDDS THIS SATURDAY THE 25TH BETWEEN 1PM and 1:15PM TO PICK UP BIRDS FOR ALL SAN DIEGO RACES.
Hi Everyone, Ryan Leach will be at Jedds this Saturday the 24th from 12:45pm untill 1:00pm to pick up birds for all San Diego races. Please bring your own boxes or crates Ryan will not have any crates.