Folks, I just can't justify a special race this weekend. The weather is dicey. I expect we'll have a tough time getting in a race, and if we do, it will likely be shortened to Redding (180 miles) or less. I'd hate to lose your birds due to weather problems, I can't control the day or conditions of the release if the birds are on the combine trailer, other than to cancel releasing them.
So, it's time to return your birds. Please let me know how you want them returned. I'll likely go to the CSRPO convention, so some might be returned there. Otherwise, the mail is the likely route. If you don't want them back, let me know and I'll transition them to another loft & fly them in old birds, if possible.
You know, as I reviewed Average Speeds the other night I only looked closely at the prize winners to get that information out to you. Today, I noticed just how close the speeds were. Junior Juanich's 794 at 6th place was only 0.1 second behind 5th, and Dave Harrett's 1927 placing 7th, was less than 3 seconds behind 5th place. Antonio Gomez's 83 placed 8th and was just 40 seconds behind the 5th spot and Rick Nanez's 6640 was just 47 seconds behind Antonio's bird. The first 17 birds in Average Speed were separated by less than 1 hour.
If your bird(s) didn't do well enough to earn a spot in your breeding loft, I'll be happy to race them in old birds. If your birds do well and you want them back after the old bird season, just ask.
Congratulations! It's understandable... Elation and disappointment... 19 birds on the drop! No one gets a great prize. I'm gratified to have 19 on the drop, but I know each of you hoped for a nice winning prize... Unfortunately, we can't have both. Special congratulations to Dave Harrett placing 4 for 4 and Antonio Gomez placing 3 for 3 in the first drop! Bob Occonnor and Ralph Rosas entered only 1 bird in the race and finished 5th overall Average Speed.
Average speed: 664.642 miles
$4617 split 40/25/20/10/5
1st. 60669 Wayne Broyles 1349.366ypm
2nd. 1940 Dave Harrett 11.4 seconds to win
3rd. 1937 Dave Harrett 28.6 seconds to win
4th. 6154 Bieche-Stevenson 1.25.4 to win
5th. 16117 Bob & Ralph 4.53.1 to win
RACE 3: SHIPPING AT MANTECA CLUB HOUSE. FRIDAY, OCT 21ST AT 7 P.M.
WE WILL SHIP THE DELTA RACE AFTER CLUB SHIPPING. THE DELTA BIRDS WILL BE SHIPPED ON THE COMBINE TRAILER AND RELEASED 30 MIN. AFTER THE COMBINE RELEASE.
STATION: HORNBROOK, CA 271 MILES
Due to last week's storm, the Mid-Valley Combine postponed the Hornbrook race until this weekend. In order to keep the birds on schedule, I have chosen to race from Hornbrook this weekend rather than waiting another week for Klamath Falls. It's been about 10 days since the second race from Weed. This change presents an oportunity. The combine will be racing next week from Klamath Falls, so we could add another race to the Delta Classic program this year.
I'm considering one more race from Klamath Falls next weekend if you, the breeders, would like to do that. It will NOT include Average Speed as the rules are already set. It will require the breeders to put up another entry fee of $50.00 per bird. If you're interested, please let me know. If the interest is there, we'll do it!
Birds started arriving this morning at 7:52. I came out to the loft to find a bird about to enter the loft. The power was already on, so it registered without a problem. Birds came in all day and by days' end, there were 36 birds in the loft. The birds flew a short time this morning without forcing them, just a little fly around to limber them from their Tuesday effort.
I drove the birds, myself, to Weed and released them at 8:00 a.m. The official sunrise at Weed was 7:18 a.m., but with Mt. Shasta rising to over 14,000 ft, the sun was just peeking over its shoulder when I released the birds with great expectations. I packed up and hustled home non-stop. As I drove, I checked the wind direction at various points along the way and found it coming from several directions. The weather was clear through out the day. Seven birds dropped together just before 13:45. Five minutes later, another 8 birds hit the board. After 8 minutes more, another pair hit and again another pair came in only a minute later. Ten minutes later, one more hit, then it was a long wait before another came and then just one more on the day and we were done. To those that don't have a bird home or those missing more, I apologize. Perhaps tomorrow will find more birds returning in greater numbers.
I gave the birds a short toss Tuesday to get them up the road and limber them up both physically and mentally. The birds fly daily, whether at the loft or on the road, but I feel they need to get up the road consistantly between races. I gave them 3 day rest period after the Red Bluff race, so it was time.
Today, I tossed the birds from 65 miles. The release time was adjusted to 8:35 a.m., but the speed did not adjust, so they were flying more like 1500 ypm. I had pull water trays and button things up on the truck before leaving, so they had a head start and beat me by 5 minutes. When I got here 31 birds were in the loft and the other 30 were in the air. They would not come down, so I figured we had cooper hawk company and sure enough, it moved after I sat down for 10 minutes. I chased it out of the area and the birds finally came in. Four of the remaining birds stayed, then two of them came in, then one more, but the last did not clock until much later. We have 59 birds in the loft when I pulled the computer at 4:30 p.m.
I will likely give the birds two more tosses before the next race. I will not race this weekend, but will likely send them to Weed, CA for a Tuesday or Wednesday release. I will then likely race from Klamath Falls, OR, on Saturday, the 22nd of October. The birds are looking good and are flying well around the loft, especially when a cooper is in the neighborhood!
Great race today from the loft manager's perspective.. It's a small pay day for the breeders, however. We had 26 birds on the first drop. The second drop was just 1:32 minutes behind with 27 through 49. There are 60 of 66 birds entered in the first race in the loft at the end of the day.
Bob's family is hosting a Celebration of Life on Saturday, October 8th at 3 p.m. All are invited. it will be at the VFW hall close to his home. I'll release a group of race birds in his honor. I also have a wedding that afternoon, so I'll be up the hill as soon as possible after leaving that program. I hope you local flyers will attend, your support will be appreciated by his family.
I'll possibly run Race 2, Weed, CA, mid-week, in about 9 or 10 days, weather permitting. That way, the birds will be set up for the 3rd race from Klamath Falls, about 10 days after that. The birds will be trained out regularly during the interim of both races to keep them sharp. The time will hopefully allow the late birds time to recuperate.
Training toss today with 63 birds in the clock. Most were in the clock in short order.
Shipping for the first race is this Friday at the Manteca club house. If you want to handle your bird(s), please let me know and be there by 8:00 p.m. If you're shipping birds with another club and can get to the club house before we finish, let me know and I'll hold your birds for you until we need to load them.
I expect to release the birds at Red Bluff instead of Redding. The birds have had a 95 mile toss, so this is approximately a 65 mile jump. That's plenty for the first race. There is a major weather change in the coming days. This may add an extra challenge or help the birds; only time will tell.
Please get your entry and pool money in ASAP. The post mark will determine that you've paid in time and eligible if you won't be here in person.
It's time to pay the second entry of $100 per bird for all race ready birds. If your bird is showing on the training sheets, please consider it race ready. If it is not race ready or lost before the first race, I will return your cash. Also, in place of a standard set of pools, I'll have a single pool of $30 per bird per race. To simplify, you might choose to send $190.00 per bird and be finished with your entry & pool payments. If you like, you can pay the $30 pool money before each race, but then you'll have to send or make several payments. If your bird is lost in the first or second race or you choose to not pool it after submitting the money, I'll refund your money that hasn't been put into action yet.
It seems that Friday, September 30, might be the best shipping night, if the combine allows me to ship the birds on the truck. It will allow me to be here on race day to host the race without a hitch. The weather also seems marginally better on Saturday if it turns out as the forcast suggests. If that doesn't work out, we'll ship on Saturday night. I'll talk with the appropriate persons Monday and let you know. Regardless, get your payment in please.
Today, I gave the birds a quick 10 mile toss to give them an easy toss and get them off the property and update the inventory for you. The last toss was Thursday, so it was time. The birds will continue to get a few more tosses this week of 30 to 65 miles to keep them sharp. Another bird returned this afternoon; AA1378 is the bird.