100 Mile Activation Toss 10/21
150 Mile Race 10/25
200 Mile Race 10/31
300 Mile Classic 11/8
Dates could change a little. Maybe a day or 2. Willkeep you posted
The activation toss from 100 miles was today. It got a little rough right after they were released, they were chased by some birds of prey that scattered them 10 different directions. They arrived at the loft all strung out and from all directions. It's 4:10 pm and we are still out 9 birds. Hopefully they will drift back in before dark or early in the morning. The entry fee of $300.00 per bird is due now and if you want your birds in the average speed it is an extra $50.00 per bird. We were scheduled to have the first race at 150 miles this coming sunday but depending on how they look in the morning we may wait until monday. The birds in the loft now look fine and not worn out.
All birds came in a drop except one and one lost bird that returned. I had set the clock for an 8:30 release but instead the birds were relesed at 7:55 so when they arrived they were showing a speed of over 2400 yards, after making the adjustment, the speed was actually in the 1300's. Unfortunatley my trucks water pump went bad 60 miles from home. Over $400 and 6 hours later, I was able to return home. The birds will be loft flown tomarrow and if they do well, we will go 80 miles on wednesday. If the smoke stays away, I am planning on the 100 mile activation in the next 7-10 days. The schedule from here on will be a little condensed so I am asking that you check the most current training toss or loft fly to see how many entries you have remaining. I am requesting that you send your entry fees of $300 per bird along with the optional average speed money of $50.00 per bird ASAP as the first race of 150 miles will take place about a week after the activation race. If your entry is lost prior to or at the activation toss, I will refund you money for that bird. Thank you for your understanding.
More than pleased with today's training toss from 60 miles. All came back together and after circling for 3-4 minutes, 36 came down. The remainder flew for another 15 minutes before coming down. This was the first clear day (No Smoke) in 3-4 weeks. This has been a very frustrating year running the Silver Bullet. I was sure we had settled on a good course only to start getting thick smoke from the California wildfires. I am hopeful that we can get to the 100 mile activation in another week to 10 days, providing the smoke does not return. The days are getting shorter and winter weather is coming soon. I won't be pushing them too hard but will do our best to keep losses to a minimum. All that being said, I'm not getting any younger and the stress of losses for the last few years has gotten to me. I am 90% certain that this will be our last year to run this one loft race. Thanks again to all you breeders for your support.
Took the Silver Bullet entries 50 miles last saturday. The weather was beautiful when we left home for the toss. Upon arrival it was slightly hazy but not bad. On the way back the haze or what we now know was smoke got progessivly worse. At home when we arrived, visability was not very good. As of this writing we have 36 missing from the toss. We locked them up yesterday and loft flew tody so you can check on your entries. I cannot begin to express how heartbreaking it is to lose so many birds. We have been watching the weather and we cannot even begin to publish a new updated race schedule. The smpke from all the states around us could come back at anytime. Believe me, we are training as seriously as the weather and smoke will allow. These tosses are a real kick in the stomach.
Training has resumed at least for the time being. The smoke has pretty much cleared from our area but the California fires are still burning and a change in the wind could bring it back. Trying to stay positive though. The toss from 35 miles went well this morning as all 110 birds came in a drop. When about 80 had trapped a Coopers hawk did a flyby and chased the others in the air. After another 15-20 minutes they rest came down and trapped. Some of the birds that had been coming home habitually late, have seemed to have gotten with the program. Once the air quality is stable we will be publishing a new schedule.
We had a problem with exterior wiring to our loft computer which led to a problem with our Wi Fi connection. We will have a computer tech work on it in the next few days. Rest assured you have not missed anything. The smoke is still too thick to chance training. Hope we can start up again by this weekend.
Here in northern Nevada we are covered with smoke from the California wildfires so in the best interest of the birds, we refuse to take them training. Our local weather forcaster said that we could get a weather front later this week that might disipate the smoke. We have only had 2 training tosses since the middle of August so it seems pretty definate that the schedule will be changed including the activation toss. Once we get clear skies for an extended period of time, we will update the schedule. Stay tuned.
We took the birds training today back to the 24 mile station. Two of the birds did not return today. I think they may have learned to bum when we had the smmash toss 3 weeks ago. This was only the 3rd training toss since then. The smoke from the California wildfires will be floating back in our area this friday afternoon so it makes training very difficult. I hope to loft fly on the not so good days and go training whenever the atmosphire will allow. We are not in a hurry to lose birds and will take all the precautions we can. It looks like the schdule will be extended. The owners of the 2 missing birds are being notified
We had hoped to get a training toss in today. We cancelled because we have high winds and the smoke from the northern California fires is just way too thick. If the wind continues the rest of the day, we will shoot for a toss on thursday 9/10.